Smoked Osso Buco Recipe
⦁ 2 1-2 lb Beef shanks
⦁ 2 Tbsp Lowrey’s garlic salt
⦁ 2 Tbsp Black pepper
⦁ 2 tbsp Cobram Estates Olive Oil
⦁ 2 yellow onion chopped
⦁ 3 carrots peeled and chopped
⦁ 4 potatoes peeled and chopped
⦁ 1 carton Bella Mushrooms
⦁ 6 cloves fresh garlic chopped
⦁ 1 1/2 cup beef broth
⦁ 1 cup dry red wine
⦁ ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
⦁ 1 can 28 oz crushed tomatoes
⦁ 1 tsp curry
⦁ 1 tbsp Onion powder
⦁ 1 tbsp dried thyme
- ⦁ Fill your hopper with Knotty Wood Almond Cabernet Wine Blend pellets and preheat your smoker to 450 F. Place your Dutch oven into the smoker while it preheats.
- While the smoker is preheating, season both beef shanks on all sides with garlic salt, and pepper.
- Once the smoker is up to temperature, pour in olive oil and place the beef shanks down to sear. This will help to get a good crust on the meat before slowly cooking it.
- After the shanks have seared for about 10 minutes, add in the red wine, crushed tomatoes, chopped garlic, and chopped onions.
- You are then going to add in the seasonings: Curry powder, onion powder, dried thyme, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Place the lid on the Dutch oven and turn the smoker down to 275 F. Let this simmer for about 4-5 hours.
- Once the beef has been simmering for about 5 hours add in the chopped potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms. If needed, add one cup of water.
- Place the lid back onto the dutch oven and let this simmer and cook for another 2 hours.
- You’ll know this is done once the potatoes are tender and the meat has fallen off the bone.
- Serve over rice or noodles and enjoy!