- 2 Cups Warm Water
- 1 Tablespoon Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 5 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour (more as needed)
- Almond Cabernet Wine Blend Pellets
- In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup of water and yeast. Set aside and let sit until foamy – about 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl add 3 cups of flour, sugar, and salt. Stir to combine and then mix in the yeast and water mixture to form a thick batter.
- Continue to add the 2 1/2 remaining cups of flour and 1 ¾ cups of water a bit at a time until a soft dough begins to form.
- You can mix by hand or you can also use a stand mixer with a dough hook on medium speed. After about 5-10 minutes the dough will begin to clean the sides of the bowl.
- Put the dough mixture onto a well-floured surface and knead until the dough is no longer sticky and can be formed into a smooth ball.
- Grease a large Dutch oven-10 place the smooth ball of dough inside.
- Place the lid on the Dutch oven and put it inside a warm place/oven. For the first rise, let sit in a warm place until doubled, which will take from 45 minutes to an hour.
- After about an hour, punch down the bread dough and turn out to a floured surface.
- Knead and shape the dough into a ball again.
- Place dough back inside the Dutch oven. Cover the pot with the lid.
- Let dough rise for the second time in a warm spot until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the pellet grill to 375F and fill your hopper with the Almond Cabernet pellets for that added richness in flavor.
- Place the Dutch oven in the preheated oven with the lid on.
- Bake for about 45 minutes to an hour with the lid in place.
- The bread will have a golden-brown crust when done. You can also tap the center of the loaf to hear if it will sound hollow to make sure it is done.
- Remove from the Dutch oven and set to cool on a wire rack.